Looking for something to do with the leftovers from this recipe? Try our Piquant Welsh Beef and Yorkshire pud burrito
- To make the rub combine all the dry ingredients together. Brush the surface of the brisket with a little oil and then using your hands rub the dry ingredients all over the meat. Leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour – overnight would be even better.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C / 140°C fan / Gas 4.
- To cook, heat up a little oil in a large frying pan and fry the meat sealing all edges and fry until browned.
- Transfer to a roasting tin lined with foil or baking parchment, gently add stock or beer around the meat, cover and cook in oven for approximately 2 hours per 450g of meat until the meat is very tender. Or you can cook it in a slow cooker on low for approximately 8 hours.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 30 minutes before carving against the grain or shredding.
- Serve in baguettes with gherkins and fried onions.