1 hrs 30 mins
- 600g PGI Welsh Lamb, trimmed and diced (suitable cuts – shoulder, neck fillets, leg or chump)
- Oil for frying
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2cm root ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp mild chilli powder
- 300g tin of tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 75g block creamed coconut
- 150ml vegetable stock
- ½ tsp sugar
- To make the sauce, pour the oil into a saucepan and over a medium heat fry the onions, garlic and ginger until lightly browned.
- Add the spices and seasoning and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for 5 minutes, until starting to boil.
- If you want a smooth tikka masala sauce – carefully pour the sauce into a blender and blitz for a few minutes. Return to the pan.
- In a separate frying pan fry the diced lamb for a few minutes until browned and then add to the sauce.
- Cover and cook until the meat is tender. Time will depend on which cut you’ve used: allow 45 minutes-1 hour if leg / chump / neck used and approximately 1½ hours if shoulder used.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped coriander and basmati rice or naan bread.