Welsh Lamb Tikka Masala
Share this page
Wednesday 31st July 2019
600g trimmed diced Welsh Lamb (suitable cuts – shoulder, neck fillets, leg or chump)
Oil for frying
2 onions, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2cm root ginger, grated
2tbsp garam masala
1tbsp mild chilli powder
300g tin tomatoes
3tbsp tomato puree
75g block creamed coconut
150ml vegetable stock½tsp sugar
- To make the sauce, pour the oil into a saucepan and over a medium heat fry the onions, garlic and ginger until lightly browned.
- Add the spices and seasoning and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for 5 minutes, until starting to boil.
- If you want a smooth tikka masala sauce – carefully pour the sauce into a blender and blitz for a few minutes. Return to the pan.
- In a separate frying pan fry the diced Welsh Lamb for a few minutes until browned and then add to the sauce.
- Cover and cook until the meat is tender. Time will depend on which cut you’ve used: allow 45 minutes - 1 hour if leg / chump / neck used and approximately 1½ hrs if shoulder used.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped coriander and basmati rice or naan bread.