- Make the Relish: Melt the butter and gently soften (without browning) the onion.
- Add the vinegar and bubble to reduce. Add the pitted cherries and juice (red wine or Kirsch if you are using). Bring to the boil and then lower the heat, reduce the liquid by about half until slightly thickened – about 5-10 minutes.
- Place a piece of cling film onto a chopping board, onto this lay the lamb steaks and cover with a further piece of cling film. Using a rolling pin lightly bash the steaks to flatten out slightly.
- Using 3 small plates place seasoned flour on to one, beaten egg and breadcrumbs onto the other two. Take each steak and dip firstly into flour, then egg and finally crumbs.
- Heat a large frying pan and add the oil. Cook the steaks for 3-4 minutes each side until the crumb is golden and crunchy, and the steak is cooked through but juicy.
- Serve the schnitzels with a spoonful of sauce and seasonal salad or vegetables.