Welsh Beef Curry with lager and tomatoes
Share this page
Sunday 7th June 2015
- 675g (1½lb) Welsh beef chuck or braising steak, cut into medium sized cubes
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2tbsp medium curry powder
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 200ml approx small can chopped tomatoes (½ a large can)
- 300ml (½pt) lager
- 2 fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Heat oil in a large pan, add cubes of meat, brown on all sides.
- Add onion and garlic, lightly cook.
- Add curry powder and stir until all ingredients are coated.
- Cook spice for about a minute.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes and lager.
- Stir well, bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 2 hours until meat is tender.
- Remove lid for last 30 minutes to allow sauce to thicken slightly if necessary.
- Serve curry with corn pilau rice, fresh sweetcorn kernels, onion rings lightly fried with cumin and coriander, serve on a bed of steamed basmati rice.