Welsh Lamb Cawl
- 450g (1lb) Lean Welsh Lamb shoulder, cubes
- 15ml (1tbsp) Oil
- 1 Onion, cut into wedges
- 450ml (¾pt) Welsh Lamb stock
- 1 Leek, washed & sliced
- 2 Carrots, peeled and cut into chunks or 12 mini carrots, scrubbed
- Sprig fresh thyme & rosemary
- 3 Large potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 75g (3oz) Frozen Peas
- 2 Large handfuls Curly Kale
- For the Rosemary Dumplings:
- 100g (4oz) Self-raising flour
- 50g (2oz) Suet
- 30ml (2tbsp) Fresh rosemary, chopped
- Preheat oven to Gas 4, 180ºC, 350ºF.
- Heat the oil in a large ovenproof pan or casserole pot and add the Welsh Lamb cubes and onion and lightly brown. Add all remaining ingredients (except peas and curly kale) and bring to the boil. Cover with lid and cook for about 1-1½ hours.
- Rosemary Dumplings: In a bowl mix the flour and suet, stir in the rosemary. Bind with a little water. Divide the mixture into about 8-10 mini balls and then drop the dumplings into the broth. Cover with lid and cook for about 20 minutes until dumplings are fluffy and risen. Remove dumplings when cooked and place on a plate and keep warm.
- Add the remaining vegetables about 10 minutes before end of cooking and heat through. Ladle into bowls, add dumplings and sprinkle with chives and serve.