- 300g lean PGI Welsh Beef mince
- 1 pack of pizza dough mix, made up according to the instructions or shop bought pizza dough or you could make your own pizza dough. You will need enough pizza dough to make 2 x 20cm circles
- 1 onion, sliced or chopped
- 1 small red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small yellow pepper, cut into strips
- 25g mushrooms
- Handful of spinach
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 50g grated mozzarella cheese
- 50g Cheddar cheese, grated
- Few slices of salami (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C / 200°C fan / Gas 6.
- Dry fry the beef mince until nice and brown, leaving it in clumps.
- Add the onion, peppers and mushrooms and fry gently to soften.
- Add all the remaining ingredients other than the cheese. Stir through to mix and leave the mixture to cool.
- On a floured board, roll out the pizza dough into 2 circles approximately 20cm each.
- Place the pizza dough circles on baking paper.
- Stir the cheese into the beef mixture. Halve the beef mixture and spoon onto one half of each pizza dough circle, leaving 3cms around the edge.
- Lightly dampen the edges with water and fold the pizza dough over the half of the circle to form the calzone.
- Press to seal the edges. Using your fingers, crimp or fold in the dough to form a pattern around the edge of the calzone.
- Carefully lift the calzone onto a baking sheet and place in the oven for approximately 20 minutes until the dough is golden and crisp.