- Heat the oven to 150°C / 130°C fan / Gas 2.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Season the brisket and place in the hot oil. Sear on all sides, getting a nice brown colour on the brisket.
- Remove the brisket from the pan and place in a deep oven tray or casserole dish.
- Using the same pan, fry the onion and garlic until golden and place in the oven tray or casserole dish around the brisket.
- In a small bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients, add the maple syrup and soy sauce and mix into a smooth paste. Smear the paste over the top and sides of the brisket.
- Mix the tomato purée into the stock and gently pour around the edge of the oven tray or casserole dish. Add the lime wedges.
- Cover with foil or a lid and place in the oven for approximately 2 hours 30 minutes – 3 hours.
- When the meat is tender, remove the foil and increase the oven temperature to 200°C / 180°C fan / Gas 6. Baste the meat and return it to the oven for 20 minutes until the surface is crisp and sticky. Allow the brisket to rest for 10 minutes.
- Drain the rest of the sauce and thicken if necessary. Serve with the sliced brisket and crispy slaw.
Tip: The recipe can be cooked in a slow cooker and the beef can be sliced or pulled. The remaining brisket can be pulled (shredded) to use the next day. Other suitable recipes on our website include: Loaded Welsh Beef brisket fries, Pulled Welsh Beef mac and cheese, Welsh Beef calzone (can use pulled or minced meat), Pulled Welsh Beef enchilada pie, and Welsh Beef mini pizzas.