Do you sometimes feel a little out of sorts for no clear reason? Alleviating lethargy and improving your general wellbeing could be as straightforward as eating a varied and balanced diet.
Red meat as part of a healthy, balanced diet can make an important contribution to intakes of nutrients such as iron and zinc. It also provides high-quality protein and a range of other nutrients, including B vitamins, potassium and phosphorus.
Did you know that:
- Red meat as part of a healthy, balanced diet can make an important contribution to intakes of nutrients such as iron and zinc in the UK diet
- Red meat also provides high-quality protein and a range of other nutrients, including B vitamins, potassium and phosphorus
- Potassium contributes to normal muscle and nerve function and helps support normal blood pressure
- Zinc supports normal fertility and reproduction
- Red meat is naturally low in sodium (a key component in salt). Reducing consumption of sodium supports the maintenance of normal blood pressure
- Meat contributes to the improvement of iron absorption when eaten with other foods containing iron
- Meat and dairy contain vitamin B12, an essential nutrient not naturally present in a vegan diet
A little bit more about the benefits of vitamin B12…
Vitamin B12 plays an important role in keeping our bodies functioning normally, reducing tiredness and fatigue, and unlike plant-based foods, it is found naturally in animal-sourced foods, including Welsh Lamb and Welsh Beef.
What does vitamin B12 do?
Water-soluble and easily absorbed into the blood stream, vitamin B12 helps keep the immune system working normally, including our bodies’ psychological functions.
The benefits of vitamin B12 are numerous, helping with;
- Normal brain function
- Red blood cell production
- Nerve function
- DNA production
How can I get enough vitamin B12 into my diet?
A varied and balanced diet will give you the nutrients you need, including vitamin B12. As well as being a source of high quality protein, Welsh Lamb, Welsh Beef are rich in vitamin B12.
Is Welsh Lamb and Welsh Beef produced sustainably?
The Welsh way of farming has a very different story to tell compared with some of the intensive and industrial systems found in other parts of the world.
With high standards of animal husbandry and pastureland management, our family-run farms have helped preserve our unique landscape for generations, and will continue to do so for generations to come.
Take a balanced approach…
So before you reach for a quick fix tonic or supplement, it is worth considering the advantages of eating a balanced diet that includes red meat and enjoy the long-term benefits the natural way. You can learn more about some of the wider benefits of eating a healthy and balanced diet with Welsh Lamb and Welsh Beef in our health section. Also, you can visit our recipe pages for lots of delicious and nutritious meal ideas.