- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large, deep pan. Season the meat and fry it in two batches until it becomes a deep brown colour. Remove from the pan.
- Using the same pan, add the onion, garlic and carrot and fry for a few minutes.
- Return the meat to the pan and add the tomato purée, red wine, stock and bouquet garni. Bring to the boil, place a lid on the pan and simmer on a low heat for 2 hours.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan, add the bacon and fry until crisp. Add the mushrooms and shallots and brown lightly, then add them to the bourguignon. Cover and cook for a further 45 minutes. Add more stock if necessary.
- Just before serving, thicken the liquid with cornflour and boil for 5 minutes.
- Serve with crusty French bread or mashed potato.
Tip: Welsh Beef bourguignon can be cooked on the hob, in the oven or in a slow cooker.