- Preheat the oven to 220°C / 200°C fan / Gas 7.
- Grind the peppercorns in a pestle and mortar and finely chop the thyme. Mix the peppercorns, mustard, rapeseed oil and thyme together in a bowl, season with sea salt. Put the roast in a tin and spread the peppercorn mix over the top.
- Peel and quarter the onions and arrange around the roast. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Meanwhile dissolve the stock cube in the boiling water. Take the roast out of the oven, remove the onions and keep to one side.
- Turn down the heat to 170°C / 150°C fan / Gas 3.
- Pour the stock around the roast and cover the beef loosely with some tin foil. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes for a medium/rare roast, longer if you want your beef more well done. Cover the beef and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Reheat the onions in the oven for 5 minutes and serve. Use the cooking juices to make some gravy if you want.
Roast Welsh Beef with peppercorn & herb crust
- Prep time 10 mins
- Cook time 1 hrs 5 mins
- Serves 4