- Part-cook the pasta in boiling water for 5 minutes, drain and place in cold water.
- In a pan, fry the mince until lightly browned. Add the onion, carrots, garlic and celery and fry gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato purée, chopped tomatoes, wine, herbs and seasoning and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add a little beef stock if it’s too dry. Cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven 180˚C / 160˚C fan / Gas 5.
- Assemble the pie in a 20cm round dish or tin. Place a spoonful of the cooled mince mixture into the bottom of the tin. Stand the pasta tubes upright in the tin and pack them in tightly, filling the tin.
- Pour or spoon the lamb ragu over the pasta tubes, ensuring each tube is filled. Place a few mozzarella balls or ripped pieces of mozzarella into some of the tubes.
- Top with the grated cheese, and pop some small sprigs of rosemary into each tube.
- Place in the oven for approximately 30 minutes until the cheese is golden brown and the pasta is cooked. The pasta should still be al dente. Cover gently with foil, if required, to prevent the cheese from burning.
- Serve with a green salad.
Tip: Welsh Lamb ragu pasta pie can also be made with pulled Welsh Lamb shoulder.