Welsh Lamb Wellington
Share this page
Wednesday 10th June 2015
- 2 x Welsh lamb loin eye muscle or neck fillets weighing approx 227g (8oz) each seasoning
- 2 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
- 45ml (3tbsp) olive oil
- 150g (5oz) chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 leeks, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 100ml white wine
- 500g packet pre-made puff pastry
- plain flour for rolling
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to Gas 6, 200ºC, 400ºF.
- Season the lamb and roll in the chopped rosemary. Heat half the oil in a frying pan and sear the lamb on all sides for 5 minutes until brown all over. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan and gently fry the mushrooms, leeks and garlic for about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the wine and cook until evaporated. Leave to cool slightly.
- Cut pastry block in half and roll into a large rectangle about 5mm thick (big enough to wrap around the lamb).
- Spoon half the mushroom mixture down the centre of the rectangle andplace the lamb on top.
- Brush any exposed pastry with the beaten egg and then wrap the pastry around the meat, sealing tightly, trim top and bottom if a little too much pastry.
- Place on a baking tray, seam side down. Repeat with second piece of lamb.
- Brush the pastry all over with the remaining beaten egg and decorate with pastry trimmings if you wish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until pastry is golden brown. Leave to rest for 10 minutes before carving into thick slices.
- Serve with creamy mashed potato and seasonal greens.