- Preheat the oven to gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
- Mix all ingredients together well - except pastry. Into four individual pie dishes place beef cubes, onions, mushrooms, stock, ale, gravy granules, tomato purée and thyme
- Roll out puff pastry and divide into four and place on top of dishes, damp rim and finish edges.
- Place a small hole in the top to release steam, brush with egg and milk, cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven for 1½ -1¾ hours.
- Remove foil and cook for a further 20-30 minutes, until browned. Serve the pies with mashed swede and seasonal vegetables.