- Preheat oven to Gas 4, 180ºC, 350ºF.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof pan. Add the beef cubes, garlic and shallots, and brown meat on all sides.
- Add the rest of the vegetables, red wine, stock and seasoning. Cover with lid and place in preheated oven for about 11/2 - 2 hours until meat is tender.
- Make Dumplings: Heat oil in a small pan and add onion and garlic. Cook gently until beginning to soften, but not too brown. Allow to cool slightly.
- Into a bowl place the flour and suet. Add the onion mixture and sufficient cold water to combine together, and create a very slightly sticky dough. Shape into about 8 small balls.
- After 11/2 - 2 hours remove pan from oven and add dumplings spacing them out on top of the casserole – for crunchy dumplings with soft centres leave the lid off – if you like them soft throughout replace the lid. Cook for about 20 minutes until dumplings are fluffy.
- Serve with creamy mash potato and seasonal greens.