- Preheat oven to gas mark 4, 180°C, 350°F.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof pan or casserole pot. Add the beef cubes and brown on all sides.
- Add the shallots and garlic and continue to cook for 1-2 mins. Add all remaining ingredients and bring to the boil, cover with lid or foil. Cook in preheated oven for 1½ hours.
- In a bowl mix together the flour, suet and parsley. Add the horseradish sauce and a few spoonfuls of cold water and mix together with a spoon. Using your hands press the mixture together to form a ball. Break off small pieces of the pastry and roll in your hands to form a small ball / dumpling (the mixture should make about 10-12 small dumplings).
- Remove stew after 1½ hours, remove lid and drop the dumplings into the stew. Return to the oven for a further 30 mins until the dumplings are fluffy but golden.
- Serve in bowls with dumplings and extra steamed seasonal green vegetables.