Spiced Welsh Beef Rib Eye Steak with chunky rustic BBQ sauce
Share this page
Sunday 7th June 2015
- 2 Welsh beef rib eye steaks (could use sirloin or rump)
- ½tsp cumin seeds
- ½tsp dried cumin
- ½tsp coriander seeds
- ½tsp dried coriander
- ½tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 clove garlic
For the BBQ sauce:
- 1tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, cut into chunks
- 1 small eating apple, peeled, cored and thickly sliced
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded and thickly sliced
- 400g approx can pineapple rings and the natural juice
- 2 gherkins, chopped
- 1tbsp vinegar from gherkin jar
- 1tbsp brown ketchup/sauce
- 2tbsp tomato ketchup
- Place all spices, garlic and seasoning in a pestle and mortar (or use a small dish and wooden spoon or rolling pin) and lightly ‘pound' together to break down spice seeds and garlic.
- Place steaks in a shallow dish, sprinkle over the spice mixture and rub into the steaks to cover and coat.
- Leave covered until ready to cook.
- Make BBQ sauce: Place oil, onion, apple and pepper into a pan and lightly cook together for 1-2 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients, bring to the boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes until vegetables have softened slightly.
- Cook steaks on a hot preheated BBQ, grill or griddle for about 3 minutes each side for rare, 4 minutes each side for medium.
- Serve steaks with chunky rustic BBQ sauce, mixed green salad and chunky potato wedges.