Hywel Griffith's Rib-eye of Welsh Beef with noodles and kecap manis
Share this page
Tuesday 5th May 2020
2 x 200g Welsh Beef rib-eye steaks, at room temperature
50g Udon noodles
100g choy sum (or pak choi)
1 large banana shallot, chopped
30g ginger, diced
1 large clove of garlic, diced
50g kecap manis
a pinch of salt and a little oil
a handful of sesame seeds
1. Cook the noodles in boiling, salted water for 5-6 minutes.
2. Sear the steaks for 2-3 minutes on each side in a very hot pan.
3. Sweat the shallots, garlic and ginger using a small amount of oil.
4. When the steak is cooked, rest it on the side in a warm place.
5. Drain the noodles and add to the shallots along with a small amount of the cooking water.
6. Wilt the choy sum in the steak pan, cooking them about 70% of the way through so the stems stay nice and firm.
7. Cover the steak in the kecap manis and sprinkle with salt, returning to the pan for 20 seconds to reheat and absorb the flavour of the sauce.
8. Plate the noodles topped with the steak, and sprinkle with the coriander and sesame seeds.