Christmas Welsh Lamb Wellington
Share this page
Monday 8th June 2015
- 2 Long pieces of Welsh Lamb neck fillet or loin eye muscle each weighing approx 225g (8oz)
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 100g (4oz) button mushrooms, sliced
- 50g (2oz) tinned chestnuts, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 25g (1oz) dried cranberries
- 45ml (3tbsp) port
For the Port sauce:
- 100ml (4floz) port
- 30ml (2tbsp) redcurrant or cranberry sauce
- 500g packed pre-made puff pastry
- plain flour for rolling
- 1 egg, beaten
- Pre heat oven to Gas Mark 6, 200°C, 400°F
- Season the Welsh Lamb. Heat half the butter in a pan and sear the Welsh Lamb on all sides for 5 minutes until brown all over. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining butter and gently fry the mushrooms, chestnuts, garlic, thyme and cranberries for about 3-4 minutes.Add the port and allow to bubble for about a minute.
- Place the mixture in a small bowl and leave to cool slightly. Save the ‘dirty’ pan to use for the sauce. Cut the pastry block in half and roll into a large rectangle about 5mm thick (big enough to wrap around the Welsh Lamb). Spoon half the mushroom mixture down the centre of the rectangle and place the Welsh Lamb on top.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg, fold in both ends followed by the sides wrapping the pastry around the meat.
- Place on a baking tray, seam side down. Repeat with the second piece of Welsh Lamb. Brush the pastry all over with the remaining beaten egg and decorate with pastry trimmings if you wish. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until pastry is golden brown.
- Make Port Sauce: Heat the pan used for cooking the mushroom mixture, add the port & swirl around pan to get all the juices etc into the mixture. Add the redcurrant jelly and simmer for about 10 minutes to reduce slightly. Remove the wellingtons from the oven and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes before carving into thick slices.
- Serve with port sauce and seasonal steamed vegetables or red cabbage braised with apples & red wine.