- 24 hours before cooking, blend the herbs, garlic, peppercorns, lemon juice and olive oil to make a marinade sauce. Drizzle the sauce over the Welsh Lamb rumps before wrapping in cling film, then set aside in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Make the pesto by toasting the pine nuts over a medium heat in a dry pan until golden brown. Blitz the garlic, basil leaves, olive oil and pine nuts together in a blender. If the pesto seems too thick, add some additional oil. Remove from the blender, mix in the Parmesan and refrigerate in an airtight container.
- Remove the rump from the fridge and leave to reach room temperature. In the meantime, cut the aubergine in half and score the surface with a sharp knife before seasoning with salt and pepper and a sprinkle of oil.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
- Place the aubergines in the oven for 20 minutes or until soft. While the aubergines are baking, sear the rumps on a high heat in a dry frying pan on each of its sides before placing in the oven for 10 minutes. Then remove and leave to rest for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the aubergines from the oven. Spoon a layer of pesto over them and return to the oven for 5 minutes or until the pesto begins to crust.
- Serve by placing an aubergine on each plate, slice the rump and arrange around the plate. Dress with rocket in olive oil and pepper and serve.