- Season the lamb with salt and pepper and sear in a pan with olive oil on a medium/high heat.
- In a large saucepan, sweat the diced vegetables with some olive oil, add in the lamb and fry for a couple of minutes. Pour in the red wine and let it reduce by half.
- Add in the tomato paste, chicken stock and herbs and let this simmer for about 1 hour, covered with a lid.
- After about 30-40 minutes, start to boil the potatoes and cook them until soft. Mash them, gradually adding hot milk and butter and mixing energetically until the mash is creamy and airy. Adjust with salt and freshly milled nutmeg.
- Check the lamb and make sure the sauce is neither too runny nor thick.
- Place the mash potato on the side of a serving dish, add the ossobuco and its own sauce and finish with freshly chopped parsley.
Francesco Mazzei’s braised Welsh Lamb ossobuco with buttery mash potato
- Prep time 10 mins
- Cook time 1 hrs
- Serves 4