- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / Gas 4.
- In a bowl mix the lamb steaks and za’atar seasoning together, ensuring the lamb is evenly coated. Cover and leave to marinate for an hour.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add the steaks and fry for 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a non-stick baking tray and finish in the oven for a further 3-4 minutes. Allow the lamb to rest for a few minutes.
- For the baba ghanoush, season the aubergine halves with salt and pepper and drizzle with the oil. Put the two halves back together, wrap in foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the aubergine from the foil and scoop out the aubergine flesh. Place the flesh in a hot frying pan over a medium to high heat and cook off for 5 minutes, to remove the excess moisture. Transfer to a blender or food processor and whizz together with the lemon, garlic and herbs. Season to taste.
- For the pickled onions, place the sugar, water and vinegar in a small pan and bring to the boil, add the sliced red onion and cook for one minute. Remove from the heat and allow to cool in the liquid, then drain and set aside.
- To serve, heat the mini tortillas according to pack instructions. Top each tortilla with the baba ghanoush. Slice the meat, going against the grain and place on top of the aubergine mix. Sprinkle over the pickled onions, pomegranate seeds and mint leaves. Drizzle with the yogurt, finish with a squeeze of lime juice and serve immediately.
Tip: If you can’t find za’atar seasoning then make your own using two teaspoons each of cumin, sesame seeds, sumac and dried oregano.