- Season and generously coat the lamb shanks with Ras el Hanout. Place some oil in a casserole dish and sear the meat on all sides until it is browned, then add a cup of water, cover with a lid and place in the oven for 5 hours at 110°C / 90°C fan / Gas ¼ .
- After 4 hours, check the lamb and place a lamb stock cube in the cooking juices – leave to cook for the final hour without the lid.
- In a large bowl, dress the couscous with lemon juice, olive oil and turmeric. Add boiling water to level the couscous, cover with cling film and set aside for about 5 minutes until the water has been absorbed, then fluff up with a fork.
- Dice the pepper, onion and courgette into 1cm cubes and fry until cooked and well coloured. Add to the couscous and stir well.
- Chop the spring onion, coriander and mint. Mix the natural yoghurt and mint sauce together in a small bowl.
- To serve, place the couscous to the side of the dish and the lamb shank beside it. Glaze the shank with the cooking juices then sprinkle generously with chopped herbs and pomegranate seeds, and drizzle with the minted yoghurt.
Welsh Lamb shank with Ras el Hanout, warm couscous salad, pomegranate and minted yoghurt
- Prep time 25 mins
- Cook time 5 hrs 30 mins
- Serves 2