- For the lamb dhansak, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the onions, garlic and ginger until soft and lightly coloured.
- Add the spices and chilli. Cook for one minute.
- Add the lamb, stirring to coat well with the spices. Cook for 4-5 minutes until brown. Add the tomato purée and cook for a further minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, 200ml water and the coconut milk. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Add the lentils and the remaining water. Cook for a further 30 minutes. As the lentils cook they will absorb the liquid. If the mixture looks too dry add a little more water. The curry is ready when the lentils are soft and the lamb is tender and soft.
- Remove the whole cinnamon stick and garnish with the coriander and lime.
- For the mint kefir, whizz together the kefir and mint, or low fat yogurt, in a blender or food processor.
- Divide the curry between the serving bowls. Place the naans and kefir in the middle of the table to share and serve.
Tip: For additional heat, retain the chilli seeds in the fresh chillies.