- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / Gas 4.
- Heat a casserole dish and add the oil and brown the beef in batches until sealed. Remove the beef and set aside. Add the onions, garlic and cook for 5-10 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, thyme, bay leaves, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and the sealed beef. Cover and place in the preheated oven for 30 minutes then reduce the heat to 150°C / 130°C fan / Gas 2 and leave to cook for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add the chestnuts, mushrooms and sweet potato. Return to the oven and continue cooking for a further 1 hour 30 minutes until all the vegetables are cooked and the meat is tender.
- Serve with steamed green vegetables.
Slow cooked one pot Welsh Beef with chestnuts
- Prep time 20 mins
- Cook time 4 hrs
- Serves 5+