- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / Gas 4.
- Place the lamb, onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, cinnamon and seasoning in a slow cooker or in an ovenproof casserole dish. Stir, then add the mulled wine and stock.
- Make the bouquet garni by tying the cinnamon sticks and herbs together with string.
- Place the bouquet garni in the casserole dish with the star anise. Stir well. Cover with a lid and place in the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes – 2 hours until the meat is fairly tender (in a slow cooker: 2 hours on the high setting or 4 hours on the low setting).
- Remove the lid and add the dates, cranberries, tomatoes and sugar. Stir well.
- Cover with the lid and return to the oven for a further 45 minutes (1 hour in the slow cooker).
- Serve with creamy mashed potatoes.
Tip: Suitable to cook in the oven or slow cooker.