- Preheat oven to 150°C / 130°C / Gas 2.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a casserole dish and cook the onions for about 5 minutes, stir in the garlic and carrots and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining oil to a frying pan, season the beef with salt and pepper and brown on both sides before adding to the casserole.
- De-glaze the fry pan with the red wine, scraping all the sediment off the bottom. Pour over the beef along with the stock, bay leaf and thyme leaves. Cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours. Stir in the cranberries and chestnuts and return to the oven for a further 1 hour until the beef is tender.
- Remove from the oven and serve with mashed potatoes and celeriac and steamed greens.
Braised Welsh Beef with cranberry and chestnuts
- Prep time 20 mins
- Cook time 3 hrs 30 mins
- Serves 5+