- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4, 180°C, 350°F.
- Cut liver into small pieces and place in a food processor until the mixture is smooth. Remove and place in a large bowl. Add the mushrooms, leeks, peppercorns and season, thoroughly mix all ingredients together.
- Take a 1.1 litre/2pt loaf tin and lightly grease with a little butter. Place bacon rashers on the bottom of the tin and place onto them the thyme sprigs.
- Spoon the liver paté mixture into the tin and smooth the top. Cover with a piece of non-stick baking paper and then a piece of foil.
- Place in a deep roasting pan and pour a little hot water into the tin to come about 5cm up the loaf tin. Cover with foil and place in a preheated oven for 1½ hours until mixture is completely set and top starting to brown
- Carefully remove from oven and allow to stand for at least 20 minutes before turning out. Pour off excess juices, cover and place in the fridge to cool.
- Serve sliced on warm walnut bread with plum sauce (lightly stew fresh plums with a pinch of cinnamon and squirt of honey).