Welsh Lamb Shepherds Pie
Share this page
Monday 8th June 2015
- 450g (1lb) Lean Welsh Lamb mince
- 900g (2lb) potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
- ¼ cabbage, shredded
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1-2tbsp flour
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 300ml (½pt) lamb stock
- 1tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- milk for mashing potatoes (approx 8 x15ml)
- 2tsp margarine or butter for mashing
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4, 180ºC, 350ºF.
- Place the prepared potatoes and parsnips in a large pan, cover with just enough boiling water to cover and fast simmer with the lid on for about 10-15 minutes until soft (add the cabbage during last 5 minutes of cooking).
- Meanwhile, place the Welsh Lamb mince, onion and garlic in a cold pan. Place on the heat and ‘dry fry’ in its own juices and brown for about 4-5 minutes. Add the carrot, flour and purée and combine well together. Add the stock and herbs. Season and bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on the pan.
- Drain the potatoes, parsnips and cabbage. Add the milk and margarine or butter and mash.
- Place the mince mixture into a family sized gratin dish and top with a layer of mash. Place in a preheated oven until crisp and golden, about 20-25 minutes.