Welsh Beef Steak and Kidney Pie
Share this page
Wednesday 3rd June 2015
- 600g (1¼lb) Lean Welsh Beef braising
- steak, cut into chunky cubes
- 225g (8oz) Welsh Lamb kidney, core removed and chopped
- 1tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Leeks, washed & sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tbsp Flour
- 300ml (½pt) Beef stock
- 2 Sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 500g Packet of flaky pastry
- Egg & milk to glaze
- Preheat oven to Gas 4, 180°C, 350°F.
- Heat the oil in a large ovenproof pan or casserole pot. Add the Welsh Beef cubes and brown on all sides. Add the leeks and garlic, continue to cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the flour and stir well.
- Add the stock, thyme and kidneys. Bring to boil. Place the lid on the pot and place in the oven. Cook for 2 hours until the meat is tender.
- Increase oven temperature to gas 6, 200ºC, 400ºF. Spoon meat into a family sized pie dish (adjust the thickness of the gravy at this stage with a couple of spoonfuls of water – if you desire). Roll out pastry and top pie dish.
- Brush with egg and milk glaze. Return to the oven for about 25-30 minutes until golden brown, risen and puffy.
- Serve with seasonal greens.