Welsh Beef Spaghetti Bolognese
Share this page
Sunday 7th June 2015
- 450g (1lb) lean Welsh minced beef
- 50g (2oz) bacon lardens or streaky bacon, diced
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, scraped and chopped
- 400g approx can chopped tomatoes
- 2tsp dried oregano
- 125ml red wine
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 350g (12oz) spaghetti
- Heat oil in large frying pan, add onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, carrot, celery and bacon lardens and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until just beginning to brown.
- Add the beef and cook over high heat for a further 3 minutes or until all the meat is browned
- Stir in the tomatoes, oregano and red wine and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the tomato purée and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Cook the spaghetti in a pan of boiling water for about 8-10 minutes until tender, but still has bite.
- Drain thoroughly.
- Transfer spaghetti to serving plate and serve with the bolognese sauce.
- Serve garnished with grated Parmesan cheese and basil leaves.