Welsh Beef Rendang
You can buy prepared Rendang paste but have a go at making your own. It may look like a lot of ingredients but it’s very easy to make and you’ll have most in your store cupboard already. It’s also delicious!
- Make the paste by putting all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz together for a smooth paste.
- Toast the coconut by placing in a dry frying pan and heat stirring all the time until it turns a nice golden brown colour.
- Heat the oil in a large pan or flameproof casserole, add the star anise, cinnamon sticks and cloves and allow to sizzle on a medium heat for a minute.
- Add the paste to the pan, kaffir lime leaves and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add the Welsh Beef, coconut milk and water and bring to the boil then reduce the heat and cook for 1½ - 2 hours
- Add the sugar, lemon juice and 3 tbsp toasted coconut. Stir, cover with lid and cook for approximately 30 minutes stirring occasionally until the meat is tender and you have a fairly dry consistency.
- To serve sprinkle over remaining coconut. Great served with cooked rice and a tomato and coriander salad.