- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4, 180ºC, 350ºF.
- Toss the beef in seasoned flour.
- Heat oil in a large heatproof casserole and brown meat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until browned. Add the mushrooms, pepper, and paprika and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the tomatoes and beef stock.
- Put lid on and cook in the oven for 2-2½ hours until beef is really tender and sauce thickened.
- To make Dumplings, put self-raising flour, suet, seasoning and caraway seeds in a bowl. Add 4-5 tbsp cold water and using a fork mix together. Add a little more water if needed. Pull the dough together with your hands and shape into 6-8 small balls.
- Add to the goulash 25-30 minutes before the end of cooking (for soft dumplings replace lid - for crunchy tops leave lid off).
- Serve scattered with parsley, a dollop of sour cream and caraway dumplings.