Welsh Beef cakes with spicy marrow & ginger relish
Share this page
Thursday 4th June 2015
- 225g (8oz) lean Welsh Beef mince
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (approx 300g prepared weight)
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
Spicy Marrow and Ginger Relish:
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 450g (1lb) marrow, peeled with seeds removed and cut into small chunks
- 2.5cm (1") piece root ginger, peeled and chopped
- 30g (2tbsp) soft brown sugar
- Place the sweet potatoes in a pan of boiling water and cook until tender – it usually takes about 10 minutes – then drain and cool slightly
- Now take the mince and dry fry in a pan until brown and crumbly – allow to cool slightly.
- Add the mince to the sweet potatoes, spring onions and seasoning and then mix together well.
- Take large handfuls of the mixture, shape into flat cakes, dust with flour and then allow to chill in the fridge.
- Now throw all of the ingredients for the relish in a small pan, cover and allow to reduce for about 10 minutes.
- Finally, heat some oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the delicious cakes for about 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Serve with spicy relish and seasonal greens. Then relish.