- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4-5, 180°C, 350°F.
- In a pan heat oil and brown beef cubes with the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients except pastry and bring to the boil. Transfer to a large ovenproof pie dish.
- Roll out puff pastry big enough to cover the pie dish.
- Dampen the edge of the dish with a little water and place pastry on top of the meat mixture, trim off any excess pastry and lightly press the edge to seal. Brush with beaten egg and milk and place into a preheated oven for approx 1½-2 hours, cover with foil once the pastry is risen and golden to prevent burning.
- Serve with steamed green vegetables and extra gravy if you wish.