Spring Welsh Beef topside
Share this page
Wednesday 3rd June 2015
- 1.25kg (2½lb) Lean Welsh Beef topside joint
- Seasoning and olive oil
For the Stuffed mushrooms:
- 4 Large Portabello mushrooms
- 2 Mini yellow and orange peppers, deseeded and thickly sliced
- 4tsp Sundried tomato paste
- 25g (1oz) Parmesan style cheese, cut into small cubes
For the Stuffed onions:
- 4 Small onions, cut in half lengthways
- 50g (2oz) Breadcrumbs – made from olive or herb bread
- 12g (½oz) Butter
- Sprigs Fresh Thyme
For the Chilli Yorkshires:
- 150g (6oz) Plain flour
- 200ml Semi-skimmed milk
- 2 Eggs
- Cooking time: Rare – 20 minutes per 450g/½kg (1lb) plus 20 minutes Medium – 25 minutes per 450g/½kg (1lb) plus 25 minutes Well done – 30 minutes per 450g/½kg (1lb) plus 30 minutes Temperature: Gas Mark 4-5, 180ᵒC, 350ᵒF & Gas Mark 6, 200ᵒC, 400ᵒF
- Weigh the Welsh Beef joint and calculate cooking time. Place the joint on a rack in a roasting tin, season well and drizzle with a little olive oil. Open roast in a preheated oven for the calculated time.
- Onions: Remove the very centre layers from the onion to create a skinny pocket. Place small cube of butter on top and scatter with breadcrumbs and top with sprigs of thyme. Place in baking tray and cook for about 45 minutes until tender.
- Mushrooms: Remove mushroom stalk, spoon on a teaspoon of tomato paste per mushroom, top with pepper slices and cubes of cheese. Scatter with any leftover breadcrumbs from onions. Place in baking tray and cook for about 30-40 minutes.
- Make the Yorkshires: Place all ingredients (except oil and chilli) for Yorkshire batter into a bowl/jug and beat together to make a smooth batter. Increase oven temperature to Gas Mark 6, 200ᵒC, 400ᵒF. Heat a teaspoon of oil in each patty tin and add a few rings of chilli. Heat oil for 3-5 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully pour in batter mixture. Return to the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until well risen & golden brown.
- Remove meat from oven and allow to rest for 10-20 minutes before carving.
- Serve the Welsh Beef thickly sliced with roast vegetables and chilli Yorkshires – cook mini roasted potatoes and scatter with fresh mixed herbs before serving.