Slow cooked Welsh Lamb Shoulder with sloe gin, plums, ginger and star anise
Share this page
Monday 8th June 2015
- 1kg (2.2lb) boneless Welsh Lamb
- shoulder cut into chunks
- 30ml (2tbsp) olive oil
- 2 onions, cut into quarters
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2.5cm (1" ) piece root ginger, peeled
- and chopped
- 4 star anise
- 150ml (¼pt) sloe gin or damson wine
- or port
- 300ml (½pt) lamb stock
- 30ml (2tbsp) plum or damson jam
- 6 plums, halved and stones removed
- Pre-heat oven to Gas 3, 160ºC, 325ºF.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof casserole pan or pot. Add the onions and garlic, then lightly cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the lamb cubes and brown well before adding the seasoning, ginger, star anise, sloe gin, stock and jam. Mix well, then bring to the boil. Place in the oven and cook for about 1½ hours until meat is tender.
- About 30 minutes before the end of cooking add the plums.
- Serve with seasonal ‘greens’ and crusty bread. Then enjoy, slowly.