Slow braised Welsh Brisket Bourguignon
Share this page
Saturday 6th June 2015
- 1.25kg (2½lb) lean Welsh brisket or silverside beef, boned and rolled
- 15ml (1tbsp) oil
- 2 cloves garlic, squashed
- 10 shallots, peeled
- 300ml (½pt) beef stock
- 300ml (½pt) red wine
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 175g (6oz) mixed mushrooms
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 100g (4oz) smoked dry cured bacon, cut into pieces
- 30ml (2tbsp) fresh flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the joint and brown all sides, add the garlic and shallots and lightly brown.
- Place in a deep ovenproof casserole, season and add stock, red wine and parsnip. Cover and cook for 2½ hours in the oven or on the hob. Add the mushrooms during the last 30 minutes of cooking time. Heat the oil and lightly fry the onion and bacon until crispy.
- Serve scattered with the onion, bacon and parsley, accompanied by creamed potatoes and seasonal green vegetables.