Meditteranean style slow cooked Welsh Beef
Share this page
Saturday 6th June 2015
- 450g (1lb) lean Welsh beef braising steak, cut into chunky cubes
- 15ml (1tbsp) olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 150ml (¼pt) white wine
- 150ml (¼pt) beef stock
- 5ml (1tsp) dried oregano
- 5ml (1tsp) fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 6 green and 6 black olives, pitted
- 3 fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 small baguette, thickly sliced
- 50g (2oz) feta cheese, crumbled
- 15ml (1tbsp) fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to Gas 4, 180ºC, 350ºF.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof pan or casserole pot. Add the beef cubes and brown on all sides.
- Add the onion, garlic and fennel, continue to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the white wine and allow to bubble for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the stock, herbs and olives, bring to the boil. Place the lid on the pot and place in oven.
- Cook for 1½ - 2 hours until the meat is tender. Add the tomatoes and stir through.
- Top with the baguette slices and scatter with feta cheese.
- Place back in the oven without lid, for 10 minutes until the cheese begins to soften. Scatter with parsley and serve with steamed green beans or large seasonal salad.