Gizzi Erskine's Welsh Lamb, orzo & aubergine stuffed vegetables
Cook along with Gizzi as she makes the dish here:
- Sweat the onions and garlic in a heavy bottomed casserole dish in 1 tbsp of olive oil for 20 minutes, over a medium heat until really nice and soft.
- Meanwhile brown the lamb mince in another tablespoon of oil in a frying pan until it has a nice colour.
- Blitz the tomatoes in a food processor until smooth and add to the onions along with the lamb, chicken stock, white wine, oregano and bay leaf, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Leave to reduce over a medium heat for one hour, whilst you prepare the vegetables.
- In the frying pan you used for lamb, heat another tablespoon of oil over a medium to high heat, and then add the aubergine. Fry until it starts to caramalise and becomes soft, remove from the pan and set to one side.
- Cut your peppers and courgettes in half, length ways. Remove the seeds and pith from the peppers. Scoop out the seeds from the courgettes but do not discard! Heat another tablespoon of oil in a pan, add the chopped up courgette insides and one half of the red and yellow pepper cut into 1cm cubes, and fry until soft. Add these to lamb with the aubergine an hour into cooking.
- 15 minutes later, add the orzo and cook for a final 5 minutes.
- Whilst the lamb is cooking, place the remaining peppers and courgettes halves onto a baking tray and drizzle with the remaining oil, and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Heat the oven to 220C, and pop in the baking dish. By now your lamb should be really nice and rich.
- Check for seasoning, and stir through the parsley and lemon zest. Now you are ready to carefully fill each vegetable cavity with the lamb.
- Return to the oven and bake for ten more minutes.
- Once you’re ready to serve up, sprinkle with parmesan and a little extra parsley. This is delicious eaten with a simple green salad.