German Braised Welsh Lamb with Cabbage and Beans
Share this page
Tuesday 9th June 2015
- 1kg (2lb) boneless Welsh lamb shoulder joint
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, cut into quarters
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1tsp caraway seeds, crushed
- 1tsp hot paprika
- 400g red and white cabbage, shredded
- 400g can borotti beans, drained
- 400 g can cannellini beans, drained
- 300ml (½pt) German lager beer
- 300ml (½pt) lamb stock
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 3, 160ºC, 325ºF.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof casserole pan or pot. Add the onions and garlic, lightly cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the lamb joint and brown well. Add seasoning, caraway seeds and paprika, toss to coat all the ingredients. Add the cabbage, beans, beer and stock. Mix well. Bring to the boil and place in oven, cook for 1½-2 hours until meat is tender.
- Serve thickly sliced with crusty bread.