French braising navarin leg of Welsh Lamb
Share this page
Tuesday 9th June 2015
- 1 whole Welsh Lamb leg, on the bone
- 30ml (2tbsp) olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 2 leeks, cut into large chunks
- 8 small whole carrots, peeled
- 8 small potatoes
- sprigs of fresh rosemary, mint and lavender
- 2 bay leaves
- 300ml (½pt) white wine
- 300ml (½pt) lamb stock
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4-5, 180ºC, 350ºF.
- Take a large flame/oven proof roasting tray and heat on the hob. Add oil, onions and garlic and brown a little. Add the lamb leg and brown on all sides if possible.
- Add the vegetables, herbs, wine and stock. Cover with foil and cook for about 2 hours until meat is tender – check after 1½ hours to make sure liquid doesn’t need topping up and there is sufficient ‘gravy’.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving and serve.