- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4-5, 180°C, 350°F.
- Weigh the joint and calculate the cooking time. Cooking time: Rare – 20 minutes per 450g/½kg (1lb) plus 20 minutes Medium – 25 minutes per 450g/½kg (1lb) plus 25 minutes Well done – 30 minutes per 450g/½kg (1lb) plus 30 minutes
- Place the joint in foil lined roasting pan. Pour over the brandy, a little olive oil and season. Place the joint in the preheated oven and cook for the calculated cooking time, basting the joint occasionally.
- Make the compote: Place all the ingredients into a small pan and simmer gently for about 10 minutes to reduce a little and then allow to cool.
- When the meat is cooked remove from the oven and allow to rest. Save the meat juices to make gravy or serve with compote or both! Serve the carved Welsh Beef drenched with compote & full festive fare of your choice.