Christmas Carvery Leg of Welsh Lamb with Winter Spice and Pears
Share this page
Tuesday 9th June 2015
1 whole carvery (part-boned) leg of Welsh Lamb
1 ripe pear, peeled, cored and quartered
2.5ml (½ tsp) cinnamon
5ml (1 tsp) brown sugar
150ml (¼ pt) sweet cider
2.5ml (½ tsp) mixed spice
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4-5, 180°C, 350°F.
- Weigh the joint and calculate the cooking time using timings: Medium - 25 minutes per 450g/½kg (1lb) plus 25 minutes Well Done - 30 minutes per 450g/½kg (1lb) plus 30 minutes
- Mix pear with cinnamon and sugar.
- Take the pear pieces and push into the space left by the removed leg bone - if you need to cut the strings to place pear into joint, just re-tie.
- Place the joint in a roasting tin lined with foil.
- Add the whole pears to the pan and pour over the cider and sprinkle with the mixed spice. Open roast for the calculated cooking time.
- Remove the pears after about 40 minutes, when they are tender but still retain their shape.
- Remove lamb from the oven and allow to stand for 10 mins before carving.
- Pour the meat juices into a pan and boil to reduce - thicken if you wish.
- Serve thick slices of lamb with pears and festive roasties and greens of your choice.
- Festive bows make a good centre piece!!