Braised Welsh Beef with cranberry and chestnuts
Share this page
Friday 6th December 2019
1kg Welsh Beef braising steak cut into thin slices
2 onions, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
300g carrots, chopped
Salt and pepper
300ml red wine
300ml beef stock or water
1 bay leaf
1tbsp fresh thyme leaves
300g fresh or frozen cranberries
180g cooked chestnuts
- Preheat oven to 150°C/Gas Mark 2.
- Heat 1tbsp of oil in a casserole dish and cook the onions for about 5 minutes, stir in the garlic and carrots and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining oil to a frying pan, season the Welsh Beef with salt and pepper and brown on both sides before adding to the casserole.
- De-glaze the fry pan with the red wine, scraping all the sediment off the bottom. Pour over the Welsh Beef along with the stock, bay leaf and thyme leaves. Cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours. Stir in the cranberries and chestnuts and return to the oven for a further 1 hour until the Welsh Beef is tender.
- Remove from the oven and serve with mashed potatoes and celeriac and steamed greens.