Boneless Leg of Welsh Lamb stuffed with Caerphilly cheese, garlic & herbs
- 1kg (2.2lb) boneless leg Welsh lamb
- 15ml (1tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, sage and tarragon, chopped
- 100g (4oz) Caerphilly or similar cheese, crumbled
- 900g new potatoes
- 4 fresh beetroots, scrubbed & cut in half
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4, 180ºC, 350ºF.
- Heat oil in a pan and add onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened, but not browned. Add chopped herbs and stir
- Place boneless leg of lamb on a board and open out to flatten.
- Spoon into the centre of the cavity the onion mixture and crumbled cheese. Spread out but not quite to the edges. Roll joint up and tie with heatproof string.
- Weigh the joint and work out the cooking time: Medium - 25 minutes per 450g/½kg (1lb) plus 25 minutes Well done - 30 minutes per 450g/½kg (1lb) plus 30 minutes
- Place in a roasting pan (any leftover stuffing place on the bottom of the pan under the joint), season and drizzle with oil. Roast, basting occasionally.
- 40-50 minutes before the end of cooking time add new potatoes, beetroot wedges and rosemary sprigs and toss in the juices.
- Serve joint thickly sliced with roasted potatoes and beetroot.