Anna Hansen Roast Baharat and Lemon Marinated Welsh Lamb
1 leg of Welsh Lamb, butterflied
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp of baharat powder
- 2 tsp of turmeric, minced
- 2 tsp of fresh ginger, minced
- 1 lemon, zested and half juiced
- 1 bunch of coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1kg of sweet potato
- 2 tbsp of turmeric, grated
- 1 tbsp of black mustard seeds
- 4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- extra virgin olive oil
Black sesame sauce
- 125g of black sesame paste
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 125g of water
- 1/2 bunch of coriander
- Start by making the marinade. Mix the garlic, baharat, turmeric, ginger, lemon, coriander and salt in a bowl to make a wet rub. Score the skin side of the lamb in opposite directions, each cut should be around 12 cm apart. Spread the marinade all over the meat, make sure the rub gets into the scored skin.
- Cover the lamb tightly in cling film and place in the fridge and let it marinate for 12 – 24 hours. Remembering to remove from the fridge and allow to rest for an hour before cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/gas mark 4.
- Place the lamb on a large griddle pan, barbecue, or plancha and sear on a very high heat until dark golden all over.
- Once you have achieved a good colour on the lamb, transfer to a roasting tray and roast in the oven for another 40-60 minutes, depending on how you like it.
- While the lamb is roasting, get the sweet potatoes ready. Wash well and cut into wedges, leaving the skin on. Put in a bowl and add turmeric, mustard seeds, garlic, salt and enough olive oil to coat. Place the wedges on a baking tray and put in the oven with the lamb for the last 25-30 minutes of cooking.
- Take the lamb from the oven and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes. Turn off the heat, but leave the wedges in the oven to keep warm until serving.
- While the lamb is resting, make the black sesame sauce. Combine the black sesame paste, lemon juice and water to form a thin paste, then season to taste. If the sauce is a little too thick, add water and whisk to lessen the consistency to your liking.
- Carve and plate the leg of lamb with the sweet potatoes, chopped coriander and black sesame sauce.